Thursday 3 August 2017

Health for Us (Second Edition)



Project 2: Organize Your Speech
Health for Us (Second Edition)
by Dewi Erita

 
Fellow toastmasters, have you ever heard about Public Health?
Do you know what is Public Health?
Is it like physician or dentist who cure patient? Or is it like nurse who care patient? Or is it like pharmacist who give drugs?

To begin, I’d like to introduce myself. My name is Dewi Erita. I am an undergraduate student of Public Health Faculty. Today, I’m going to talk about public health. Let me explain what I mean by Public Health. Public health is the science and art of preventing disease, prolonging life and promoting health through organized community effort (Winslow, 1920). Why should we discuss about public health? Well, I think that all of us do public health concept everyday. What I want to do is to share a little bit about public health.
I have a story about this morning. It was a common morning, but I realized that I got a list of achievements that reflect the often-ignored history of public health (Riegelman, 2010).
I woke up this morning, got out of bed, drank a glass of water, and went to the bathroom where I used the toilet, washed my hands, brushed my teeth, and took a bath. After I was ready to go, I walked out my door into the clean air. I walked through the small way to the UI station about 10-15 minutes. I waited the bikun (bus campus) in the UI station’s shelter. I rode on bikun. I paid little attention to the sentence on the bikun’s wall “use public transportation to reduce air pollution”. After that, I got at B building at Public Health Faculty. I continued to step on the stairs until 2th floor. I arrived safely in the well-ventilated meeting room and got ready to have an interview. It wasn’t a very eventful morning, but then it can explain public health (Riegelman, 2010).
Public health is the science and art of preventing disease. Hand washing is related with public health. Hand washing activity eliminate the transmission of common bacterial disease, which so often killed the baby, toddler, and young people for centuries.
Public health is the science and art of preventing disease. Walking is related with public health. Walking as the role of exercise can reduce at least half in hearth disease.
Public health is the science and art of prolonging life. Environmental health is related with public health. We use public transportation to reduce air pollution. The physical environment which have good air quality is important. We breathe fresh air both outdoors and indoors. That is good for lung (Riegelman, 2010).
Public health promote health through organized community effort. Public health give health promotion and make health program. Public health don’t work only for one person individually like physician, dentist, nurse, and pharmacist. Public health work for population health.
So, let us do exercise like walking, breathe fresh air in the morning and wash hand before eating and after using toilet.
Depok, July 27th  2017

(This draft has been presented in UI Toastmasters Club regular meeting on Thursday, July 27th, 2017)

References:
Riegelman, R.K., 2010. Public health 101: healthy people - healthy populations. Jones & Bartlett Learning, Canada.
Winslow, C.E.A., 1920. The Untilled Fields of Public Health.


No comments:

Post a Comment